It’s no secret that winter temperatures can reach some pretty scary lows, and it’s all we can do to keep ourselves warm in the midst of this inclement season. Many homeowners crank the thermostats in their homes, bundle up in blankets and sweatshirts and still more light fires in the hearth to generate a little bit of extra heat. And while these are all great ways to stay comfy and cozy come the dregs of the season, the lattermost option could result in some pretty scary situations if not approached properly.
House fires and the inevitable fire restoration in Scottville, MI that follows are cause for concern for any homeowner this season, but thankfully, there are critical steps you can take to minimize your chances of dealing with a fire, to keep your family safe as well as warm this season. Some basic tips include:
- Have your chimney thoroughly cleaned by a professional. Creosote buildups—a mixture of ask, tar and soot—are the leading cause of chimney fires and even after a single season, the buildups in your chimney can become great. Have your chimney swept annually to eliminate this high-risk variable.
- Keep flammable materials away from your hearth. It’s easy to accidently put decorations too close to the fireplace or mount your Christmas tree nearby for a serene effect, but these hazards can quickly become catalysts for a house fire.
- Burn only firewood and fireplace logs—don’t try to get your fire going with anything foreign! You might not have any idea the chemicals or composition of other household materials and using them to get the fire roaring or to keep it strong could result in dangerous additions to your fire.
- Do not use accelerators to get the fire going! Adding a little vitamin G (gasoline) or spraying kerosene on a log may result in a flame that’s out of control.
Now, the fireplace isn’t the only instigator of fires during the holiday season. Candles and overloaded outlets are also prime suspects when it comes to determining the source of a fire and often, can create even more widespread damage that requires comprehensive fire restoration in Scottville, MI. Here are a few more tips to keep you and your family safe:
- Use grounded outlets and be sure not to overload them with plugs when it comes to Christmas trees and decorations.
- Keep candles contained and only light them in areas where they’re not surrounded by flammable materials.
- Only let adults handle candles and plugs.
- Make sure you’re being thorough when it comes to blowing candles out and turning off decorations before bed.
Keeping your home comfy and cozy during the winter season is all well and fine, but it’s important to do so in a safe manner. No one wants to follow up the holidays with fire restoration in Scottville, MI, but it’s an unfortunate reality for homeowners who don’t take the time to make sure their homes are protected against the hazards that can cause fires.