While October is typically known for Breast Cancer Awareness, Pumpkin Spice Lattes, sweaters and football, it’s also known for something else—fire prevention. As the weather gets colder and much drier, the risk of an accidental fire within your home increases greatly.
Colder weather means we do much more within our homes to keep them warm and cozy. Whether it’s turning the heat up in our home, using electrical blankets, turning on space heaters or cozying up next to your fireplace, all of these are wonderful ways to keep warm during the fall and winter, but they all pose potential dangers if not handled properly.
That’s why it’s so important to pay attention to your home, plan ahead in case a fire accidentally occurs and take action on how you can prevent a fire from happening. Here are some of the most common causes of fires and ways you can prevent them from erupting.
From when we were little we were told that fire safety begins in the kitchen. Cooking, especially with an oven or a stovetop, is the leading cause of home fires. It happens when homeowners put something on the stove and get distracted and forget about it or something accidentally falls on the stove without you realizing and catches fire. Before you know it, the fire is too large to handle and you have to evacuate.
How do you prevent this? It’s pretty simple: when cooking, stay in the kitchen and always be aware of what’s going on. If you need to leave the kitchen for whatever reason, turn the stove or oven off and come back what you were doing. It’s not worth the danger it poses or the cost of fire restoration in Scottville, MI.
The second most common cause of fires in the home is heating, especially in the winter months when heating your home is more necessary. Whether it’s a fireplace, a space heater or another form of heating—it can come in contact with a blanket or a curtain and immediately ignite.
What’s the solution? If you are looking to use a fireplace or a space heater this winter, make sure that it’s far enough away from other objects in order to avoid possible ignition. Three or more feet away is typically the guideline. When it comes to a fireplace or your central heating, make sure that you have it regularly inspected and maintained in order to ensure overall safety.
Not only does smoking pose dangers to your health, it’s also the third most common cause of house fires. It’s as simple as someone smoking, tossing the butt out when they’re done and not smoldering it enough. When this still burning butt comes into contact with a flammable object, it then ignites and causes a fire.
The best way to prevent this from happening is to make sure that if someone is smoking, that it is done outside and is properly doused and disposed of when the cigarette is finished.
This is a major one because it’s not always in the forefront of our minds. Faulty or damaged electrical cords are another top cause of home fires. Cords that are damaged or old can cause sparks, and if these sparks come in contact with a flammable surface, a fire will ensue.
The best way to prevent this is by making sure that all of your electrical cords are in good, working condition and aren’t worn out. You also want to make sure a circuit isn’t overloaded which can cause sparking.
Candles are romantic and cozy and wonderful, but they are also one of the most common causes of house fires. They are an open flame and are in so many places in the home, it can be hard to keep track of all of them.
The best thing for you to do is to consider battery-operated candles rather than open-flame candles. But, if that’s not your style, make sure that if I candle is lit that you are able to see it and keep an eye on it. If you are burning a candle and are planning on leaving the room, make sure the flame is extinguished.
As you can see, October is the perfect time to make sure you are aware of the things in your home that can cause a fire. The weather gets cold and we are looking for ways to warm up. Follow the steps from above in order to prevent a fire from happening and having to go through fire restoration in Scottville, MI.