- If possible, stop the flow of water: Obviously, with weather-related water damage, you have little control over where the water goes. But for plumbing emergencies, you can shut off your water main and prevent the continuing flow of water.
- Call for assistance: Before doing anything else, call a company like Absolute Restoration Services to begin the process of restoring your home and mitigating water damage.
- Towel-dry your wood furniture: Significant water exposure can seriously damage wood furniture, so be sure to dry yours off with a towel as much as possible.
- Move what you can to a dry place: The process of cleaning up after water damage can be a very messy process in itself. Anything that isn’t damaged should be moved out of areas in need of cleanup and stored in a safe, dry location.
- Put wood blocks under furniture: Protect your furniture by elevating it on wood blocks above the water line.
- Pin up your drapes: Drapes, curtains and upholstered furniture skirts should be pinned up to avoid water damage.
- Avoid contaminated water: In the event of a sewer-related emergency or severe flooding, you’re likely to encounter contaminated water. If you’re unsure whether water is contaminated, err on the side of caution and steer clear.
- Don’t use electrical appliances: This should go without saying, but using electrical appliances and outlets in water-damaged areas of your home is a serious safety hazard and should be avoided altogether.
- Avoid rooms with ceiling damage: Whether it’s from a leaky roof, a plumbing emergency or a major flood, a wet, sagging ceiling isn’t something you want to mess around with. Avoid rooms with sagging ceilings until a professional has inspected them.
When the storm has stopped, the floodwaters have receded or you’ve shut off your water main, take advantage of Absolute Restoration Services’ 24-hour emergency services. We’ll arriven promptly and assess the extent of the damage before providing an estimated cost for water damage restoration in Scottville, MI. We hope you never need to call us, but we’ll get the job done if you do.